Thursday, February 20, 2014

Reminiscing My Old Neighbourhood

When I was younger, I stayed in a HDB flat where the lift stops only at certain floors, 1st Floor, 7th Floor and the 11th Floor. My family stayed on the 10th floor. So to take the lift, we had to climb up to the 11th floor, walked past the neighbours on that floor to reach the lift. The old flats have only one common lift lobby. Maybe thats why, the neighbours knew each other better then than now. 

I remembered I used to just walk down ( or run down) the stairs when I go to school or run errands for my mum (or just hoping to see / bump into my crush who stayed on the 3rd floor). In fact, it seemed easier to just use the stairs to go down, rather than climb up and wait for the lift. 

When I was 8 years old, I had already started going to school on my own. I made friends with a senior girl (2 years older) who stays 2 floor below. I remembered I would leave the house at 6 and meet her at her floor. I can't remember her name (I just called her 'Kak') however, but i remembered her for having long hair which is braided everyday. I cannot remember how I met her, or who approach who. But I remembered she thought me a lot of things, like how to play 'zero points', how to tie my shoelaces so that the ribbon will turn out nice, how to talk to boys.........

I even waited for her after school so that we could go home together. I cannot remember however, what excuses I gave my parents in regards to coming home late. But I know she taught me what to say. I would not say she taught me bad things, cos I don't think I got into any trouble. I did learnt a lot about boys and friends though. I believe, because of what I learned from her, I survived my teenage years well.

Our friendship did not last long. In fact it was less than 6 months. Like I say, we used to walk back home together, but one day after school, she brought me to a bus stop that I have never been to before and inform me that soon I had to walk back on my own cos she is going to another school. And just like that she left me to find my way back home. Her family moved away just before the June holidays. I did not get to her see her again ever. I wonder if I would ever recognise her if I were to bump into her one day......

No comments: